There’s a dramatic increase in the number of individuals paying for the services of a personal trainer. There are thousands of personal training centres in Australia, and the number is expected to increase in the next decade because of the number of people who want to be healthy and fit.
Would you consider it?
You may have seen the potential of becoming a personal trainer through the different infomercials as well as wellness and fitness videos that flood your favourite retail shop. And you’re right in assuming that it’s a pot of gold just waiting for you. But just what does it take to be successful in this career?
People Skills a Must
You will be dealing with a client a personal level. You should have good interpersonal skills, so develop the following:
- Your ability to motivate them, especially when they’re on the brink of giving up because of the difficulty of the sessions you design with them
- Your communication skills, especially when you need to offer advice on how they can make improvements in their routine
- Your ability to empathise; they need to know that you understand them and that you’re there for them
Be Physically Fit
It’s no use training other people if you don’t adhere to the very principles you’re teaching. Your integrity as an individual and professional trainer is as important as your ability to motivate clients to achieve their fitness goals. You need to do the following:
- Prepare and eat a nutritionally-sound diet
- Practice relaxation techniques such as controlled breathing and meditation, if needed
- Manage your stresses
- Stay away from tobacco, alcohol and other prohibited substances
Join a course for personal trainers. There are many institutions in Australia that offer specialised courses, which equip you with the correct mindset in managing the needs of your prospective clients.
You may also enrol in online fitness instructor courses to get the same training and certification even at the comfort of your home. Note that certification raises your credibility in the industry, which translates to more clients and ultimately better business.
Of course, there are other things to consider. Work on those characteristics that help you become a good and certified trainer, and then develop your skills as you make your way into the exciting and growing world of fitness training.